Thursday, May 1, 2014

trial workshop

A belated report on my trial workshop. Yes, that's in the singular, I'm afraid. It turns out I had messed up the timing of the first one by mis-reading a Facebook poll. It's so irritating that I'm just not going to say any more about that.

Except that I've promised to reschedule it. Happily, at least two people said they had really been looking forward to it. Moreover, two people heard about these trial workshops through the grapevine and said they were really keen, too. So I may have a third workshop on the horizon already... if I can find the time.

But it was good to do a trial run with close friends. Here's my set-up for the IAOW, which was our first activity after opening the workshop with a short meditation/prayer.


One of my big mistakes was setting this IAOW up on the same table I planned to use for card-making later. The reason? Two different participants set their chosen photos back down on this table, and I swept them up along with all the others in clearing space for our cardmaking! Oh no! They had to rummage through to find them again. 

I tried to give far too much information, even though I managed to keep my "lecture" to about fifteen minutes. So people were left a bit confused. But they got down to making cards, and three of my four participants reported afterwards that this was their favourite part of the event. 


Well, one answered in a way that suggested a blend of making and interpreting the card. The highlight for the fourth person was hearing what the others said about their images and cards. And that's a good answer to one of the questions I was asked - namely, if we shouldn't offer interpretations of other people's cards, nor advice, how is it a communal activity? 

There's more I could say but I'll stop here for now. It was a good learning experience for me, and I feel the others enjoyed it despite my beginner's mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment